There is nothing quite like a one pot wonder and the *Chicken Baker is it.
The *Chicken Baker is a unique pottery design that allows you to bake a moist and tender chicken and all the fixings in one pot. The funnel in the centre is filled with liquid and steams in the oven, infusing the flavour in to the chicken. The chicken juices drip down in to the surrounding tray to flavour the vegetables, potatoes and yams creating a gravy right in the dish. Once the steam and heat has worked its magic this dish is a beautiful serving piece. It's direct from oven to table in one dish.
Beer Chicken Recipe
Two favourite recipes are shared below but there are so many variations that make a fantastic chicken. Please post your favourites and new recipes in the comments to share your own creations!
- Set bite size pieces of potato or yam to boil for 5-10 minutes
- Rub chicken with preferred herbs and spices (if you put them under the skin it infuses in to the meat more deeply)
- Truffle salt, pepper, fresh crushed garlic
- Rock salt, pepper, crushed thyme
- Fill funnel with preferred liquid
- Strong Belgian beer
- Orange Juice
- Put chicken over funnel
- Add the layer of boiled bite sized pieces of potato or yam around the base and sprinkle herbs/spices on top
- Put in cold oven and turn on heat to 350 degrees
- The clay must come up to temperature slowly to avoid stressing/cracking the pottery
- Set timer for 50 minutes
- At 50 minutes, mix the potatoes and add chopped vegetables on top. It works well to have the mushrooms and onions on the very top as their juices will help cook the veggies below.
- Set timer for 20 minutes
- At 20 minutes, turn off oven and let the chicken sit in the oven for 20 minutes.
- The clay must cool down slowly to avoid stressing/cracking the pottery
After dinner you can use the chicken bones, juices/beer, remaining veggies, etc to make a chicken stock for Chicken Tortilla Soup.